The University provides all necessary infrastructural facilities and a conducive environment to promote research activity in the University. At JNTUK, research is promoted at department levels through curriculum-based undergraduate, and postgraduate research projects and internship projects. An exclusive directorate for Research and development has been functional from the year 2008. The Directorate of Research and Development was established to promote research activities of JNTU Kakinada, to obtain funds from UGC, DST, AICTE, and other Government organizations/Research organizations/ Autonomous organizations, and to encourage sponsored research activity by interaction with Industries / Premier educational and Research institutes/organizations. The directorate also monitors and administers the research programs of Ph.D. offered by the University in various disciplines.
The University provides support for research projects through Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha
Abhiyan (RUSA) Project.
To encourage research culture in the University, all the Internal Regular Faculty or Assistant Professors (contract) of JNTUK, whose services are continued in JNTUK and its constituent colleges until completion of their Ph.D., a nominal tuition fee amount of Rs.5,000 per year is being collected.
JNTUK offers Doctoral programs in eleven disciplines. The university has recognized a few Research centers in the affiliated colleges for conducting Ph.D. programs.
To enhance the Quality of Research the following quality initiatives are being followed
• A Common Research Admissions Test (RCET) has been conducted for admission into various research programs of all the Universities of the State.
• Admissions will be made by the Directorate of Admissions and final selection to research programs will be intimated to the candidates.
• List of qualified candidates (discipline-wise) has been shared with the University by the Convener
• All the qualified candidates who opted for JNTUK, Kakinada shall be called for an interview.
• Candidates shall be admitted to the Ph.D. program based on merit in written tests and interviews. Candidates who have qualified in the UGC/CSIR/NET/SLET examinations are exempted from appearing in the written test.
• However, they have to attend the interview.
• All the research scholars registered must clear the Research Methodology subject which could also cover areas such as Quantitative methods, computer applications, research ethics and review of published research in the relevant field, training, fieldwork, etc. for 100 marks.
• Ethics in conducting research and Anti-Plagiarism checks are given importance.
• Minimum two research publications for Ph.D. are mandatory.
• They should be in Science Citation Index Journals or journals having impact factors from Thomson Reuters that are mandatory from the research contributed.
• Otherwise, the publications should be in the list of journals specified in the list given on the UGC website and other journals suggested by the respective Board of Studies.
• Panel of Examiners for the Ph.D. thesis may be recommended by the Supervisor & Co-Supervisor in a sealed cover.
• Minimum 9 Examiners have to be recommended by the Supervisor and Co-Supervisor.
• Names of 3 Examiners will be recommended either by Chairman, BOS, or Nominee by Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor.
• Out of them, three Examiners are from reputed premier institutes, viz., IITs?/IIMs?/IISc/ISI, Kolkata, etc., three Examiners are from NITs?/ Central Universities, etc., three Examiners are from State Universities (Including other state universities and National Research Centers).
Research, Innovations and Extension
JNTUK has an exclusive Design “Innovation Centre” built under the Prestigious project, “National Initiative for Design Innovation”, from MHRD, New Delhi with a Financial grant of Rs.10 Crores to facilitate design-focused research. The scheme is intended to promote a culture of innovation in the institute.
There are 3 collaborators for the Design Innovation project, viz., Acharya Nagarjuna University (ANU), Guntur, IIIT, Nuzivid and, IIIT, RK Valley, Pulivendula
To develop an Innovation and entrepreneurship culture an exclusive Directorate for Incubation and IPR was established. Efforts are made to bring faculty and students from different domains together on a single platform to share ideas, help and learn from each other and provide solutions to Real-time societal sensitive problems
The project titled “Establishing a Blockchain-based Financial Information Sharing Ecosystem with Intelligent Automation” submitted in collaboration with the University of Missouri and Tetrasoft Ltd., as an industry partner was awarded US $44,862 by US Government under a “Partnership 2020” grant.
Also, a good number of innovative prototypes useful to society are developed by Incubation Centre
Under Design Innovation Center, with JNTUK as a hub and is working in the area of “Development of Cutting tools” and the three collaborators, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur is working in Biodegradable polymers, IIIT, Nuzivid is working in Biosensors, IIIT, RK Valley is working in Bio-mass Gas stoves.
Also, an Innovative Product Bike Ambulance for Tribal People is designed for which the patent is filed and published
Special encouragement is given for sports, and cultural activities organized by NSS to inculcate leadership qualities and also to boost self-confidence and team spirit.
The Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University has established an exclusive Directorate “Directorate of
Incubation & IPR” with the following Roles and responsibilities.
In order to make the students of Andhra Pradesh as global citizens and to enhance their quality of life and employability by providing them exposure in cutting edge technologies such as data Analytics, mobility, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine learning (ML) and cloud.
• JNTUK incubation centre is working towards this goal by establishing a digital centre of excellence in collaboration with Wipro Ltd., Tetrasoft USA, TOOOPLE Singapore, Missouri state university and Chicago state university of USA.
The following Activities are performed by Directorate of Incubation & IPR during the Year 2020-21
• Organized a 17 Days Online Workshop in association with EXCELR on “Applications of Data Science for Industrial Problems through Python” during 10th August 2020 to 28th August 2020. The session was delivered by Industry experts.
• A prototype for clustering the crime data for predictive analysis is done for Andhra Pradesh State Government Police and tested on road accidents data for East Godavari district. It needs further enhancement and to be tested for different crimes.
• Organized a 20 Days Workshop in association with EXCELR on “Effective Solutions for Industrial Problems using Spark and Azure”.
• Worked with Kakinada Smart City and East Godavari Police and developed a program for real time traffic management. This software estimates traffic load from CC TV camera images.
• The project titled “Establishing a Block chain-based Financial Information Sharing Ecosystem with Intelligent Automation” submitted in collaboration with University of Missouri and Tetrasoft Ltd., as industry partner was award US $44,862 by US Government under “Partnership 2020” grant. Established a 9 node, 8TB Hadoop cluster with the Technical support from Tetrasoft Inc. USA, (incubation centre partner).
• Working on modalities to start joint MS Computer Science Program in collaboration with Chicago State University, USA. The syllabus is finalized. The courses will be handled in collaboration with industry. The courses are practical oriented and project driven with 4hours theory and 10 hours’ lab sessions per week. Currently working on the modalities.
• Organized a 40-hour free training to the students on Full Stack technologies (Anular JS, Node JS)
by TOOOPLE Ltd., (Incubation Centre Partner).
• Developed a Covid Patient Tracking System for Kakinada Municipal Corporation. The training on Full Stack Technologies helped the students for the front end development.
• Developing Project Monitoring Dash board for Kakinada Municipal Corporation. The training on Full Stack Technologies is helpful to the students for the front end development.
• Agriculture Adverse Board Management Systems development for District Collector East Godavari.
• University has an exclusive Design Innovation Centre.Design Innovation Centre was granted by MHRD under the scheme “National Initiative for Deign Innovation” to facilitate design-focused research.
• JNTUK is among the top 20 institutes across India to get this project. The project has the funding of Rs.10 crores and upto March, 2020.
• There are 3 collaborators for the project i) Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur ii) IIIT,
Nuzivid iii) IIIT, RK Valley
An exclusive directorate “Directorate of Empowerment of Women and Grievances” was established by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Kakinada to empower and safeguard the rights of female fraternity of the University. Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada provides the following
facilities for the safety and security of girl student.
1.Well-trained and vigilant women security guards stationed across the campus.
2.Security checkpoints at all campus entries and exits.
3.CC camera surveillance campus.
4.Extensive surveillance network with 24×7 monitored control rooms.
5.Rotational duty by all faculty members for discipline and security.
JNTUK supports two best practices as:
1. Conduct of University Examinations through electronic distribution of question papers by ensuring Confidentiality, Speed and Security among the number of students in JNTUK.
2. Contribution to Society Through Extension or Research: Innovation and Incubation Culture in University.
• For differently disabled students, our Institution has provided basic amenities such as ramps, wheel chairs, etc. The students of the college also take active part in community service in and outside the college, which helps the students to develop a compassionate attitude towards others.